- Log off from the temporary profile and log into local administrator account or if your account has administrative rights you can do it from your temporary profile as well.
- Start registry editor by typing regedit in the find box.
- Navigate the following location. “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList”
- You will see similar keys under profile list, but one with .bak, as shown below. The key with .bak is your original profile key. Currently your Windows 7 computer logged in with a fresh (temporary) profile with same key.
- Rename the new profile key (which is not having .bak). In the example, I have renamed the new profile key with “-new_temp_profile” at the end.
- Now remove .bak from the original profile key.
- Go to the following location: C:\Users and find “TEMP” profile folder and delete it.
- Log off and log in (or restart) with your user name and password. You must get your correct profile with all your profile settings.